Wednesday 14 April 2010

Carrot & lentil soup


I have always carrots in my fridge and I must admit that my favourite soup and favourite cake are made of carrots..today is not a cake day, but instead I thought of making some soup. In fact not only "some", but in quite a large quantity, because there were so many "old" carrots in the fridge and yesterday came the organic food circle staff, including also carrots.
I thought of being creative and looking for a new recipe, but I just got lost on websites like The Carrot Museum, so after all I just picked up the good old recipe for carrot and lentil soup..originally it's from the Vegan's Cookbook (Vegaanin kasviskeittokirja), which I have had for years, but I have also made my own variations of it. Today I made it like this :)

1 big onion
a small piece of ginger (+chili, curry, garlic)
1 turnip (or 2-3 potatoes)
4-5 carrots (depends on the size, mine were huge)
2 dl red lentils
1 dl grated coconut
vegetable stock (e.g. vegetable stock cube or 1 tsp vegetable stock powder)
water
oil
salt, pepper

Chop the onion and fry it in a drop of oil. Add finely chopped ginger (and fresh chili, curry and/or garlic if you like). Chop the turnip and carrots into rather small pieces and add to the kettle. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and the stock cube or stock powder and cook for some 10-15 minutes. Add lentils and grated coconut and let it simmer until all the vegetables and lentils are soft. Whizz with a stick blender or food processor until smooth, season to taste. Enjoy with warm bread.

You can make a huge portion of this soup and freeze it - it tastes better that the ready-made portions from the supermarket :)

No comments:

Post a Comment