Monday 10 January 2011

Rice and Banana Pancakes


In less than two months I will be going to Indonesia for four weeks. As I have started to look for the travelling information, like train timetables and interesting things to see, I have also searched for websites about Indonesian food. I found some prtty good websites like Tasty Indonesian Food that provides the readers with a great variety of recipes and other food-related infromation. I hope to cook some vegetarian main dishes before I leave :)

Today I tried for the first time the famous banana pancakes. I don't know if these are THE Famous Banana Pancakes that the Southern Asian travellers eat for breakfast on Banana Pancake Trail (!) since I have never traveled there, but at least they were my first attempt! I found the recipe here.


Rice and Banana Pancakes

Ingredients

3 Medium Ripe Bananas
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup Warm Water
1 Cup Rice Flour
Corn Oil -- for brushing skillet

Directions

In shallow dish, mash bananas to a smooth consistency. In a bowl, dissolve sugar, salt and yeast in the water. In another bowl, combine banana, flour and yeast mixture. Stir the mixture until it has the consistency of pancake batter. Let stand 30 minutes. Brush skillet with oil. Heat until hot. Pour in 1/3 cup of batter. Cook pancake on both sides over moderate low heat until golden and risen. Continue with remaining batter. Serve warm with syrup.

Hmm, to be honest, there were some slight difficulties in preparing these banana pancakes! The dough was very coarse compared to the usual pancake dough, so I was afraid of them being too thick and uncooked inside. On the other hand, as we discovered after a few attempts, you can move the dough on the pan with a spoon and make it thinner so that it fries faster. We also needed a bit more oil than just "for brushing skillet". However, patiently you can manage to make pretty pancakes which have a slight taste of banana, and which indeed are delicious with honey, syrup or jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment